Have a think about the world’s most famous celebrity icons. Who comes to mind? Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, to name but a few. With their grace and beauty withstanding decades, and with modern celebrities like Katy Perry and Dita Von Teese recreating their look, it would be fair to say that these women were, are, and will always be the epitome of absolute glamour. So with the lovely summer days, it’s the perfect time to get the rollers out, put the lipstick on and embrace the weather in time for the party season.
Firstly, it’s important to stress that you can produce beautiful, glamorous waves to rival the likes of Marilyn no matter how long your hair is, although it would probably work best on medium hair. Don’t worry though, there are lots of ways to make your hair thicker if it’s a little on the fine side. A lot of people like to back comb their roots to create the illusion of volume. Others choose to wear clip-in hair extensions. These are relatively cheap and are available in lots of hair salons, high street shops and online stores too. For tips on clip-in hair extensions check here.
So, without further ado, here’s how to look just like you’ve stepped out of a classic hollywood movie set in just a few easy to follow steps:
1. Part your hair to the side. A middle parting just wouldn’t work as well for this look.
2. To make things easier for yourself, fasten the top part of your hair with a crocodile clip or whatever you have to hand. Now you have the under-side of your hair to curl before you do the top.
3. Wait until your tongs are the optimum heat for your hair. You can be the judge of this; everyone’s hair is different. Leave less time for fine hair, and more time for more thick or coarse hair.
4. Separate the section of hair closest to your face by turning your comb round so that the pointy end can draw a straight line down your scalp. Wrap it around the curling tong TOWARDS your face. Hold for a few seconds. Repeat this step until your whole head is finished. The key is to get every curl exactly the same size and direction as the others so that you end up with a head full of identical spiral curls. You might look a little like a long haired poodle right now – but trust me!
5. Take your brush or comb and carefully start to brush through the curls so that they all blend into one. Keep brushing until your hair looks smooth. Curl any end bits of hair underneath to make the bottom of your hair more smooth and even.
6. Spray your favourite hairspray all over your hairdo.
Vintage waves wouldn’t be complete with the face to match. Red lipstick, black eyeliner and fabulous lashes are all you need. This look is simple and classic, and will suit absolutely everyone.
There are many different shades of red to suit your skin type, it’s all about trial and error. Bright reds and berry shades would suit darker skin, whereas lighter skin would generally benefit from pinky, orangey shades. If red’s a tad dramatic for you, why not try a tinted lipgloss or lip balm?
The final step is to go out and enjoy yourself!